Recipes

Healthy braai alternatives I’ll be making this Braai Day

September 23, 2017

It’s almost Heritage Day, or as it’s commonly known Braai Day. I’ve been eating really unhealthily over the past week so this Braai Day I’ll be making some healthy braai alternatives. This doesn’t mean my meal’s going to be bland. In terms of the actual cooking, a braai is actually really healthy. Provided that you use fresh cuts of meat, no oils or added fats are added in the cooking process.

Healthy braai alternatives

Toss the marinade and spice it up instead

Braai meat is actually quite healthy, but marinades, especially store-bought, can contain bad fats (yes there’s such as good fats), sugar and other ingredients that are not good for our bodies (even though they taste so delicious). Using spices cuts down on calories, but make sure to read the labels to make sure there’s nothing hidden in the ingredients. A co-worker of mine sells a delicious homemade braai spice which can be used on nearly every kind of meat. I’ll be sprinkling this spice on my meat instead.

Have corn on the cob instead of bread rolls

What is a braai without a piece of meat on a roll with potato salad? It’s still a braai. Bread is probably one of the greatest inventions mankind has ever created.And braai bread is one of the best kinds of bread. But have you tasted freshly grilled corn on the cost with a dash of salt and a bit of butter? Delicious! Corn is a carb, so it can easily replace bread. And it’s a good carb (still needs to be eaten in moderation though). Try it with me, you’ll be munching on your cob long after you’ve eaten the corn.

Go green for a healthy braai

I don’t know about other areas, but in PE a braai should have 3 salads, being: potato, curried pasta and baked beans. As we all know, these are all carbs. Now add the standard braai rolls, the only none carb on the plate would be the meat! I will be replacing the salads with one salad, a delicious green salad with feta and avocado. Add some garlic vinaigrette and it is delicious!

I’m also thinking of getting some portobello mushrooms and grilling them on the braai. They’re also tasty with some cheese (in moderation). I’m not a nutritionist, dietician, so making use of these alternatives is at your own risk.

I’ll be sharing my meal on Sunday on my Instagram stories, so be sure to follow me on @osoinspired.

What are your plans this braai day? Let me know in the comments below.

Images via Pixabay

You Might Also Like

16 Comments

• Reply Cia Black September 23, 2017 at 11:04 pm

The meal you created sounds amazing and yummy. I hope you have and amazing Braai Day (sadly I had to google what it was, but thanks to you I now know) and eat lots of your delicious food

• Reply Odette September 25, 2017 at 2:40 pm

Thank you. It’s similar to barbeque’s in America.

• Reply Kathryne September 24, 2017 at 3:57 am

I love Portabella mushrooms! I like the salad you featured

• Reply Maria Magdalena September 24, 2017 at 8:42 am

This is a good idea! Corn instead of bread, and natural ingredients for the braai. I’m diabetic and I tend to avoid bread. Corn will be perfect for me.

• Reply Ithfifi September 24, 2017 at 11:54 am

That salad looks gorgeousl Actually you had me at the corn. I love corn on the cob. I’m not really one for a lot of carbs so the salad itself is really appealing to me – feta and avacado is not something I usually pair together but I will have to get some vinaigrette and try it myself!

• Reply Odette September 25, 2017 at 2:44 pm

Avo and feta together is amazing. You don’t need to have vinaigrette with it, it takes amazing on its own.

• Reply Dona September 24, 2017 at 12:23 pm

Enjoy your special day! It sounds as though you’ve found great alternatives for everything. It’s s great thay you’ve kept the meat. We need protein. I love feta cheese on my salads too.

• Reply Bea September 25, 2017 at 1:32 am

Those are great ideas to go for Healthier Braii and even general BBQ likewise. I avoid buying ready to go marinade and create a homemade one instead, but I will try the spices! I love Corn on the BBQ it is so good and exactly the way you said it – butter & salt and hop!

• Reply Odette September 25, 2017 at 2:48 pm

Homemade marinades sound like a good idea. Then you’ll know exactly what’s in it.

• Reply Elinor HIll aka Beach Hut Cook September 25, 2017 at 11:52 am

I have not heard of this day before. I hope all is well with your meal choice. Sounds wonderful to me.

• Reply Michelle Leslie September 25, 2017 at 3:09 pm

Happy Heritage day for yesterday Odette 😉 I am loving the braai alternatives you shared. Maybe tonight we’ll toss some mealies and big mushrooms on the fire instead of a that lazy aged steak that we prepped. My tummy will thank me tomorrow

• Reply Tee September 26, 2017 at 9:01 am

Yum! It’s been c old here so haven’t had braai in a while. I miss corn and you’ve just reminded me another way of roasting it. WE usually have it in the oven, lol.

• Reply Anjali Chawla September 26, 2017 at 9:24 am

Braai seems to be healthy and delicious. Loving your pics especially the salad one. Not my kinda though as I’m a vegan 🙂

• Reply Tiffany yong September 27, 2017 at 11:14 am

What made your meal so appetising is actually how you plate them nicely with a nice mixture of colours~ I love the vibrant colours and I actually feel happy that I’m eating healthy stuff like this!

• Reply Elizabeth O October 3, 2017 at 3:25 pm

This looks so delicious and healthy. I can’t wait to try this recipe someday.

• Reply Ching October 3, 2017 at 9:26 pm

I felt so guilty reading this because you echoed my thoughts. I have already been eating so poorly this past week and the upcoming holidays are fast approaching. I need to tone it down so at least I can enjoy the Thanksgiving and Christmas feasts! Corn substitutes is a great idea. I do need to think leafy green as well!