Life

The lazy girl’s guide to autumn/winter jackets and coats (plus win with Superbalist)

March 29, 2017

I don’t know about you guys, but I am so glad that the colder months are finally on their way. The last few weeks the temperature has been in the higher 20s along with some days being in the 30s and 40s, you’d swear that Port Elizabeth is still in mid-summer.

The weather has barely cooled and I’m already looking at winter jackets and coats. I’ve also begun binge watching trashy reality shows, so you should know my productivity levels will be at an all time low this winter. Investing in a good winter jacket or coat is important as a good quality one can last you many seasons (my oldest jacket is around 10 years old, and it’s as good as new).

At the moment the 90s is still influencing fashion trends. Superbalist has a bunch of trendy and stylish jackets in their Autum/Winter 2017 collection that I can foresee being stylish once the 90’s trend has passed. There are 6 designs that every one should have: the parka, the bomber, the puffer, the biker, the coat and the faux fur. Here are my faves from their AW17 collection. Also you should keep on reading to find out how you can win a R500 voucher from Superbalist.

The Puffer

Being a child of the 90s, I remember puffer jackets fondly. These were so popular when I was in primary school. All of the cool kids wore it. Also the bigger the puff, the cooler the jacket. I still love puffer jackets, but just not the bulky kind anymore. I like the Tahoe hooded coat as it’s not bulky and is longer length (to cover the booty). Plus it’s got a hoody. It looks like a good jacket that will last quite a few seasons. It’s casual, but it can still be worn to the office on chilly days.

The Bomber

Another big trend that I remember as a kid, was bomber jackets. After begging for ages, my mom bought me a faux leather one and I wore that jacket until it literally fell apart. Seriously, bits of the leather began peeling off. Bomber jackets are usually quite casual and best worn with jeans. But Superbalist has quite a few sleek styles in their bomber jacket collection, which could easily be paired with a pencil skirt or tailored pants for a more formal look.

The only thing that can top a leather bomber is probably a leopard print bomber jacket. So when I saw the Villa bomber jacket I knew it was love at first sight. Leopard print is iconic. Bombers are trendy this winter, but leopard print is trendy forever.

The Parka

Parka jackets are seriously underrated they’re both functional and stylish. Parka jackets are probably the most comfortable jacket ever designed. I’m not a fashionista, but personally I think that they will never stop being trendy and never go out  style. This is why I think it’s important to invest in a good quality and versatile parka. I love white jackets, but unfortunately can never keep them clean. I still love this Iris parka. The faux fur adds a great touch to it and I love that the front has buttons and a zip.

The Biker

A biker jackets can make any outfit edgy. Biker jackets also keep you warm because they’re normally made with faux or real leather. This biker jacket black by Glamorous is made from faux fur and faux leather. The faux fur lining looks so snug and warm. I also like the zipper and belt details and the fact that the zippered pockets form part of the design. The hemlines also have an unfinished look to it, which I also really like.

The Coat

Everyone needs a good coat in a neutral colour that will last many seasons. I’m a big girl and this plus size belted wool coat is stylish, it will keep me warm and the best part is that is basically an outfit on its own. Just think about it. You’re lazing in sweats, binge watching series and suddenly realise that you’re out of snacks. No need to change your outfit to go to the corner store, just throw this baby on and you’re dressed. This tip is basically a lazy person’s guide to style. Buy a nice big coat, throw it over anything and you’re dressed.

The Faux Fur

Who needs real fur when faux fur is so fabulous these days? Is there anything as luxurious as a faux fur jacket? You could be wearing the most plain or boring outfit ever, but if you throw a faux fur jacket on, BAM! It completely transforms you (nevermind the fact that they’re also so warm). Snuggling up in a lush, plush and cruelty free jacket is pretty awesome. I legit feel like Anja Wintour when I wear mine. I love this Long line faux fur bomber jacket as it reminds me so much of Cher from the classic film Clueless. It’s so effortlessly chic. I just need a mansion to go with it.

Win a R500 voucher from Superbalist

Here’s your chance to win a R500 voucher from Superbalist. And it’s super easy.

All you have to do is visit this link to Superbalist’s Jackets and Coats collection. Then comment below with the link to your favourite jacket or coat and tell me why it’s your favourite. That’s it. So easy right?

Before you enter, be sure that you’re well acquainted with OSI’s terms and conditions.

The competition closes Wednesday 5 April 2017 and the winner will be announced Thursday morning on my Facebook page.

This post has been sponsored by Superbalist, but as always, opinions are my own.

You Might Also Like

13 Comments

• Reply Nadine Larter March 29, 2017 at 1:27 pm

LOVE this one: https://superbalist.com/women/jackets-coats/jackets/iris-parka-fudge/100099?ref=department_151%2Fcategory_553 —– I totally have a thing for faux fur lined hoods. Imagine the pretty portraits you can take. Looking all warm and mysterious!

• Reply Jennie D March 29, 2017 at 8:28 pm

I adore this one! Hands down my favourite, because a plus size girl like me has been catered for. https://superbalist.com/women/jackets-coats/coats/plus-size-belted-wool-coat-grey/90541?ref=department_151%2Fcategory_553 , and because grey is gorgeous.

• Reply Tasneem March 30, 2017 at 11:57 am

My absolute fave is this one https://superbalist.com/women/activewear/hoodies-jackets/jane-l-s-long-zip-hooded-sweat-light-grey-melange/100164?ref=department_151%2Fcategory_152%2Fcategory_563 I would throw on a pair of leggings and sneakers and then head out the door. I love that it is long and looks like a dress. It is perfect for my new fitness journey when heading out to the gym at night or even those laid back campus days.

• Reply Luchae Williams March 30, 2017 at 1:28 pm

Yep, the Tahoe hooded coat is definitely a winner! (how did I miss that one?) Love love love!! https://superbalist.com/women/jackets-coats/jackets/tahoe-hooded-coat-blue-graphite/107280?ref=department_151%2Fcategory_553

• Reply Leanne Alford March 30, 2017 at 3:54 pm

This is my absolute favourite coat for the season, it’s chic , warm and classy for the winter and you can take it anywhere and matches with everything ! https://superbalist.com/women/jackets-coats/coats/plus-size-belted-wool-coat-grey/90541?ref=department_151%2Fcategory_553

• Reply Melissa March 31, 2017 at 4:01 pm

Ooooooh this one!
    I love the minimalist, clean lines and I see it being an extremely versatile item in my wardrobe. It’s classy and will never go out of style (singing the Tay-Tay song now too)

Mel
    xx

• Reply Ashleigh April 4, 2017 at 11:18 am

I chose the Poncho by Glamorous because it’s something l would not usually wear. I am doing a major closet cleanout and if it were up to me l would burn all my clothes! Lol. Anyway, my plan for the year is to buy well-fitting items – most of which are structured with lots of clean lines. I think the poncho would be a nice twist, flowing gently above a turtle neck and high waisted jeans for example! I own one beautiful coat from Superbalist and given that the XL was a bit snug, l think the Poncho also allows me to get in on the fashion action without compromising on fit. I have no idea what l am doing for winter so thanks for this post O.

• Reply Megan Hartwig April 5, 2017 at 7:53 am

Ooooh. I love the Sierra short down jacket – https://superbalist.com/women/jackets-coats/jackets/sierra-short-down-jacket-dark-navy/100092?ref=department_151%2Fcategory_553 . I’m always outside and have permanently cold hands and feet during winter because I don’t ever have a warm enough jacket that I’m not afraid to get dusty. This would be totally perfect…I’d look hot and stay warm!

• Reply Tahlia April 5, 2017 at 4:21 pm

Hello! First time visitor- found you via the SA Blogger Network Page. And just in time to enter too!
    I have been stalking the Superbalist site for coats lately and the one I am most tempted to buy is Melton wrap coat in Grey:

It would be perfect for both work and play!

• Reply Bianca Balutto April 6, 2017 at 12:47 am

https://superbalist.com/women/jackets-coats/coats/melton-wrap-coat-camel/127006?ref=department_151%2Fcategory_553%2Fcategory_566 I’m loving this coat it’s perfect to throw over any outfit which makes it super versatile and a definite wardrobe must have